- There is still controversy about just what Trump strategy or Clinton failure, involving at what voting group, gave Trump an electoral college win. One constituency has been reliably Republican for a long, long time and didn’t stop when that meant Trump. Jon Perr at PERRspectives points out how Republican lawmakers are about to betray unsuspecting older voters.
- Yellow Dog at Blue in the Bluegrass describes how, in real life, Trumpcare will hit real people. Like him. Like me. Like you.
- Libertarian Michael A. LaFerrara at Principled Perspectives believes Republicans are wrongly slammed for their efforts to save Obamacare.
- Michael John Scott at MadMikesAmerica marks the rollback of relations between the US and Cuba with fond wishes that President Trump spend more time tweeting.
- Last Of The Millenniums thinks back to a better President and wants to see Trump’s birth certificate.
- nojo at Stinque makes the case that, in all his craziness, the greatest weapon Trump has is our naive assumption that the institutions of democracy will survive.
- Andy Borowitz reports the White House on lockdown after a television is hurled out of a window.
- The Onion has a full report as archaeologists discover a fully intact 17th-century belief system in an Ohio GOP congressman.
- From climate change denial to defining what it means to be a real American, Dave Dubya explains how to think like a conservative.
- Flint isn’t the only instance of lead levels high enough to poison those without political power. And lead isn’t the only poison. At The Intersection of Madness and Reality, Rippa talks truth about environmental racism.
- The police officer who shot and killed Philando Castile has been acquitted by a Minnesota jury. Max’s Dad reviews the evidence, a video recording of the incident. He marvels at the clarity and wonders how a jury can be so blind.
- Green Eagle categorizes the would-be assassin at the Republican baseball practice as
… a white old guy with a gun who is indistinguishable from the worst sort of violent, rage filled Trump-NRA crackers…
bemoans the new opportunity for conservatives to Reichstag-fire over it, and blames the shooting itself on Bernie Sanders. I get the resentment and frustration, but not the logic of blaming Bernie.
- Tommy Christopher, on the other hand, suggests there is something not right on part of the left and that it is wrong to blame it on Bernie.
- Vixen Strangely at Strangely Blogged also reacts. Her thoughts go to those wounded. She notices what a large percentage of mass shootings have in common: a history of domestic violence.
- It’s a new conservative meme, projecting violent tenancies onto liberals. My friend T. Paine, at Saving Common Sense, borrows a list of liberal atrocities contrived by Sean Hannity.
I especially like the 2008 exhortation by then candidate Obama to actively engage in neighborhood debate, knocking on doors, serving as his “campaign ambassadors,” not letting conservative falsehoods go unchallenged. My friend abbreviates that to a “get in their faces” call to violence.
- This week’s note in Trumpian ‘Alternative Facts’ comes from the Boston Herald. Seems Vlad Putin is quite the kidder when it comes to Russia-sourced election hacking.