Trackback URL (right click and copy shortcut/link location)

Comment from: JMyste [Visitor]
I predict you will not get a serious conservative response to this.

They are already getting out their brooms.
08/29/11 @ 08:49
Comment from: Tim McGaha [Visitor] · http://timsthoughtfulspot.blogspot.com
I'm reminded of the old saying, "You can warm your socks in the oven, but that don't make 'em biscuits." But I guess that was before lawyers and legislators got involved.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go sort my biscuits.
08/29/11 @ 14:14
Comment from: JMyste [Visitor]
Mr. Paine wrote me an email in which he declared that he would rather leave town than face the consequences of attempting to rebut this fine work.

In that spirit, he spent the night in confession (he used the politically correct term: church meeting, to be precise) and then he booked a flight to Denver.

In his absence, I am offering his preemptive concession. I consider T. Paine a friend and I think it is what he would want me to do.

08/30/11 @ 11:58
Comment from: The Heathen Republican [Visitor] · http://heathenrepublican.blogspot.com
I had no intention of responding because, frankly, I found the post to be uninteresting (no disrespect intended). But since I can't live in a world where John Myste makes an accurate prediction, I'll offer a short response.

Regarding turning sawmills into flower shops, as a conservative, I see this as evidence that taxes affect behavior. Unlike progressives, who mock the Laffer Curve, and apparently believe you can raise taxes to increase revenues and there will be no impact on the behavior of taxpayers to avoid those higher tax rates.

While you seem to lament the increase in flower shops and the decrease in sawmills -- as well as blame Bush/Cheney for legislation in Missouri signed last month -- I see a dynamic economic environment that is putting buildings to use as the economy struggles to achieve its former glory.

Regarding T.Paine's statements about only 15% of the Bush tax cuts going to the wealthy, I make it a general rule not to defend other people's statements. I will let him defend himself if he so chooses.

I think it's a little unfair to start lumping in estate taxes, capital gains taxes, and local taxes when almost every time taxes are being discussed, everyone involved is talking about federal income tax rates. So to suggest that T.Paine was propagating a myth is disingenuous, because his statement was explicitly about income tax rates.

Burr, I would love it if you would define middle class. I once performed an analysis that put the middle class between $50k and $100k and was told that my definition of middle class was not reasonable. I did not receive a specific suggestion for an alternative.

I support the Bush tax cuts because they affected all taxpayers. The rich benefited the most from the tax cuts because the rich pay the most taxes. The rich will always benefit most from the smallest tax cut simply because of how much they currently pay. The rich did not benefit because they were the only ones to receive a tax cut, which is what most progressives insinuate.

Conservatives oppose estate taxes because they are a double tax. All of the wealth accumulated has already been taxed, probably more than once. Why should we tax it as it is transferred from on dead person to a live person?

Lastly, I saw your analysis (last month?) that showed the distribution of taxes across all income groups, and inclusive of all taxes, not just income tax. I found it very enlightening, and was pleased to see that current taxes are essentially flat, and therefore fair. Maybe it's the same PDF you link above from the Economic Policy Institute (can't click right now).

So Burr, what do you object to? Do you object to fair taxation? I presume you would like a more progressive tax system. How progressive? And at what point, in your opinion, does a progressive system become unfair?

John, I predict that I will not get a serious response to this.
08/30/11 @ 13:51
Comment from: JMyste [Visitor]
I predict Mr. Heathen will not produce a post dedicated to showing my excellence.

I predict Mr. Heathen will not post a rebuttal to any one of his posts that I request he rebut.

I predict Mr. Heathen will not include a few kind words about God in one of his posts.
08/30/11 @ 17:05
Comment from: JMyste [Visitor]
@Mr. Heathen,

You did not asked me the question, Heathen, thank God, but I will volunteer my opinion anyway.

It seems to me that you define a fair tax (not to be confused with most unfair tax of all, ironically known as FairTax), as a flat tax (everyone gets taxed at an equal rate).

As I have pointed out, that form of taxation is abominable because it unfairly distributes the burden of paying taxes. I will not debate this with you again, as I have soundly defeated you in several former attempts, and yet your opinion did not budge.

I will say that you and liberals have an axiomatically different concept of fairness and there is no way for a liberal to have a truly intelligent debate with you regarding the matter.

Or at least, if there is a way to crack through the thick conservative plates in your skull, my tire iron is too puny to do it.

I mean no disrespect at all.

Quite the contrary. My tire iron is perfectly adequate for its purpose, which is dealing with flats.

08/30/11 @ 17:18
John, please predict that Obama will win the 2012 election.
08/31/11 @ 18:42
Comment from: JMyste [Visitor]
I am pretty sure Perry has it all sewn up.
08/31/11 @ 23:54

Comments are closed for this post.

« A Point Lost in Mitt Romney's Very large New BasementPat's Best War: No White Casualties »